Transmission problems can take several forms. Each symptom may have a number of possible causes, some requiring extensive repairs while others will only need an adjustment or minor service. A systematic check up by a Professional is usually necessary to establish the cause of operating problems and their solutions, including any of the following:
1. Delayed Engagement in drive or reverse when the vehicle is cold. Also called “Morning Sickness”. Vehicle won’t move or shifts late during the first few minutes of operation.
2. Doesn’t Go in Drive or Reverse. You place the shift lever in drive or reverse and nothing happens.
3. Doesn’t Go in Any Shift Lever Position. Even racing the engine won’t move the vehicle.
4. Slippage. Engine races but vehicle moves slowly or won’t accelerate as it should.
5. Fresh Fluid Stains Under the Vehicle.
6. Shifting at Improper Speed Levels. Any noticeable early or late shifting.
7. Passing Gear Won’t Engage. You get no surge of power when you press the pedal to the floor.
8. Rough Shifting, Clunking into Gear. Noise or harsh feeling when transmission is placed in gear or while shifting from one gear to another.
9. Erratic Shifting. Shifts are sometimes unexpected. Speed at which shifts occur keeps changing.
10. Vehicle Moves Forward or Backward in Neutral (N).
11. Vehicle tries to move in Park (P).
12. Vehicle Labors or Stalls on Take Off.
13. Engine Braking (a function that uses the transmission to slow the car on long down hill slopes or in snow or icy conditions) does not work in one or more shifter positions.
14. A “Check Engine” or “Service Engine Soon” light is shining on your dashboard.
15. The Shift handle is hard to move in or out of any position.
16. The Shift indicator must be slightly off P or N to start car.
17. The Shift indicator doesn’t point to the proper range.
18. Strange noises of any kind.
19. A burnt or rancid odor coming from under the hood or underneath the vehicle.
20. Excessive amounts of debris found in the transmission pan during an inspection.
Contact Mr. Transmission today if you are experiencing any of these issues.